A board meeting is planned on Oct 19, 2011 at 18:00 EDT (Ottawa time). The meeting will take place electronically via Skype. All directors will receive an email to their Wikimedia Canada email account with instructions on how to connect to the meeting. You will be also able to read read the minutes in the days following the meeting. James Heilman will send out the invites for the Webex meeting and will chair the meeting.
Only members of the board of directors may attend and those invited to give input. If you can not use Skype, please email James Heilman with your phone number to arrange a call.
- Date: 19 October 2011, 18:00 EDT
- Location: Teleconference (Skype)
- In attendance:
- Board members:
- James Heilman
- Jeffery Nichols
- Bonoit Rochon
- Ray Saintonge
- Alan Walker
- Jit Lahiry
Text of minutes
- Jit reported that the application for charity status is complete and a scan will be sent to everyone. The application will include a copy of the chapter agreement with the WMF and a printout of the website. The application now states that 5% of WMC's activities will be political; this will somewhat complicate the application process. The application now mentions the production of academic materials.
- Action: Alan will sign the document on behalf of the board.
- James will be speaking at the University of New Deli and Kathmandu University.
- James is still in discussions with PLoS (an open-licence catalogued journal).
- Promotion is ongoing for the medical scholarship. This initial scholarship will only be for English-language edits.
- Benoit will attend GLAM Camp Amsterdam. This event will be a continuation of the New York event.
- Alan is in discussions with the Royal Ontario Museum.
Wikimedia Takes Montreal
- Benoit reported that the judging process is almost complete.
- Benoit reported that there has been some talk about organizing Wikimedia Takes Quebec City. A participant at the Montreal event expressed an interest in running it next year.
- Benoit is interested in forming a francophone Quebec subcommittee to run events.
- Support. There is unanimous agreement to support the creation of the subcommittee.
- It is suggested that similar subcommittees be created wherever possible, as they are efficient means to run events and recruit volunteers.
French Language World Forum in Quebec
- Benoit reported that chapters of francophone countries might do something connected to the French Language World Forum in Quebec in 2012.
- It is agreed that Skype is adequate for board meetings. It is noted that without a subscription to WebEx, board members should be compensated for Skype calls for WMC-related business.
- Support. There is unanimous agreement that Skype will be used for future board meetings and that WMC-related Skype calls will be expended.
Budget for next year
- The budget for 2012 is in development at Budget/2012.
- It is recommended that the board develop a clear strategic plan for next year and base its budget around that plan. This plan should be developed when the board members have an opportunity to meet in person.
- James called the meeting to a close at 19:00 EDT.
- Minutes verified by Jeffery Nichols, secretary.
- ↑ Please note that the provinces in this table are for guidance only, since some have two time zones (e.g., The Magdalen Islands and the south-eastern part of British Columbia are not in the same time zone as their provinces). Please refer to your time zone instead of your province.