| Wikimedia Canada is a nonprofit organization committed to the growth, development and distribution of free Canadian content. It was founded 10 November 2010 under the legal name "Wiki Canada". This establishment followed a long series of planning meetings on the Meta website of the Wikimedia Foundation.
On 24 May 2011, Wikimedia Canada was accepted by the Wikimedia Foundation as the thirty-third local chapter of the organization. The Wikimedia Foundation is an American registered charity that runs a number of online projects that distribute free educational material in nearly 300 languages. The best known of these is Wikipedia, which is one of the ten most-visited websites in the world. Wikimedia Canada looks forward to working with The Wikimedia Foundation and the existing community.
Wikimedia Canada is a member-based organization managed by a board of directors elected by the members. Membership is open to any Canadian citizen or other person legally entitled to reside in Canada for a period of at least one year.
Board of Directors
The current board consists of:
See also : Participant list
Mentions by the press
News about medical translation project
- World Health Organization Bulletin, Jan 2013 
- Wikimedia Foundation Blog Aug. 9th 2012Wikipedia project takes on global healthcare information gap
- The Guardian April 11th,2012 "Translators fight the fatal effects of the language gap"
News about medical scholarship
- NOW magazine Sept 29th,2011 "Wikipedia U"
- Physorg.com "Want to write for Wikipedia?"
- TheSpec "Wikipedia makes a house call to Mac"
- Blog Oct. 6th 2011 "Wikipedia trainings at a faculty of health sciences
- Signpost Oct 10th, 2011 "Canadian doctor-editor recruits colleagues in the lecture theatre
- Blog Oct. 12th, 2011 "Public health interest in a correct and elaborate wikipedia?"
- Blog Oct. 17th, 2011 "Even researchers and doctors go to Wikipedia for health information"
- Townsman Oct. 25th, 2011 "Wizards of Wiki"
- The Silhouette Oct 6, 2011 "Wikipedia Seeks Mac Expertise"
- The Vancouver Sun, Nov 5,2011 "Wikipedia gaining respect in places of higher learning"
- The Medical Post. Nov 16th, 2011 "Doctor creates $1,000 Wikipedia scholarship"
- UBC Nov 25th, 2011 "Wikipedia and Higher Education – The Infinite Possibilities"
News about Wikipedia Takes Montreal
- Tourism Montréal (17 August 2011). "Wikipedia scavenger hunt takes over Montreal".
- Montreal Gazette, online version (23 August 2011). "Montreal shutterbugs to boost Wikipedia photos of local sights".
- Montreal Gazette, print version page A6 (24 August 2011). "Photo hunt will grow city's online presence".
- Branchez-vous (24 August 2011). "Wikipédia prend d'assaut Montréal" (in French).
- The Montreal Mirror (25 August 2011). "Montreal goes Wiki".
- Halifax Chronicle Herald (27 August 2011). "Wikipedia organizes Montreal photo hunt".
- The Canadian Press (27 August 2011). "Wikipedia organizing Montreal photo hunt in what it's calling a Canadian first".
- Montreal Gazette, online version (30 August 2011). "Audio slideshow: Wikipedia Takes Montreal".
- e-Now.ca June 1, 2012 "Wikimedia president highlights i-Tech event"
- Kootenay Business (April 2012) "Wikipedia insider Dr. James Heilman is a special guest at iTech trade show"
- New York Times June 12th,2012 "Book That Plagiarized From Wikipedia Is Pulled From Market"