| Wikimedia Canada is a nonprofit organization committed to the growth, development and distribution of free Canadian content. It was founded 10 November 2010 under the legal name "Wiki Canada". This establishment followed a long series of planning meetings on the Meta website of the Wikimedia Foundation.
On 24 May 2011, Wikimedia Canada was accepted by the Wikimedia Foundation as the thirty-third local chapter of the organization. The Wikimedia Foundation is an American registered charity that runs nine online projects that distribute free educational material in literally hundreds of languages. The best known of these is Wikipedia, which is one of the ten most-visited websites in the world. Wikimedia Canada looks forward to working with The Wikimedia Foundation and the existing community.
Wikimedia Canada is a member-based organization managed by a board of directors elected by the members. Membership is open to any Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Board of Directors
The current board consists of:
See also : Participant list
Mentions by the press
News about medical translation project
- World Health Organization Bulletin, Jan 2013 
- Wikimedia Foundation Blog Aug. 9th 2012Wikipedia project takes on global healthcare information gap
- The Guardian April 11th,2012 "Translators fight the fatal effects of the language gap"
News about medical scholarship
- NOW magazine Sept 29th,2011 "Wikipedia U"
- Physorg.com "Want to write for Wikipedia?"
- TheSpec "Wikipedia makes a house call to Mac"
- Blog Oct. 6th 2011 "Wikipedia trainings at a faculty of health sciences
- Signpost Oct 10th, 2011 "Canadian doctor-editor recruits colleagues in the lecture theatre
- Blog Oct. 12th, 2011 "Public health interest in a correct and elaborate wikipedia?"
- Blog Oct. 17th, 2011 "Even researchers and doctors go to Wikipedia for health information"
- Townsman Oct. 25th, 2011 "Wizards of Wiki"
- The Silhouette Oct 6, 2011 "Wikipedia Seeks Mac Expertise"
- The Vancouver Sun, Nov 5,2011 "Wikipedia gaining respect in places of higher learning"
- The Medical Post. Nov 16th, 2011 "Doctor creates $1,000 Wikipedia scholarship"
- UBC Nov 25th, 2011 "Wikipedia and Higher Education – The Infinite Possibilities"
News about Wikipedia Takes Montreal
- Tourism Montréal (17 August 2011). "Wikipedia scavenger hunt takes over Montreal".
- Montreal Gazette, online version (23 August 2011). "Montreal shutterbugs to boost Wikipedia photos of local sights".
- Montreal Gazette, print version page A6 (24 August 2011). "Photo hunt will grow city's online presence".
- Branchez-vous (24 August 2011). "Wikipédia prend d'assaut Montréal" (in French).
- The Montreal Mirror (25 August 2011). "Montreal goes Wiki".
- Halifax Chronicle Herald (27 August 2011). "Wikipedia organizes Montreal photo hunt".
- The Canadian Press (27 August 2011). "Wikipedia organizing Montreal photo hunt in what it's calling a Canadian first".
- Montreal Gazette, online version (30 August 2011). "Audio slideshow: Wikipedia Takes Montreal".
- e-Now.ca June 1, 2012 "Wikimedia president highlights i-Tech event"
- Kootenay Business (April 2012) "Wikipedia insider Dr. James Heilman is a special guest at iTech trade show"
- New York Times June 12th,2012 "Book That Plagiarized From Wikipedia Is Pulled From Market"